Most of us would be far happier and more productive if we decided to take greater charge and responsibility for our lives.
Why is this? Because to the extent that we do not take charge of our lives - others will! They will fill our lives with obligations, commitments and "opportunities" that can suck the life out of us leaving us drained and unsatisfied.
I believe this is a major reason for low levels of life satisfaction and even depression. And the irony is that we often do it to ourselves. The greater charge we take of our lives - saying yes to the right things and no to the wrong things, the happier we become.
Those who don't take charge of their lives are usually people who don't have a clearly defined purpose for their lives. If they did, they would steward their lives with greater passion and purpose and not allow others or circumstances to dictate their priorities and time commitments.
The most successful people you encounter are individuals who steward their lives with great care. They know that every commitment they make has direct implications for other commitments they should or could be making. They know their purpose and act accordingly.
Taking charge of our lives takes place when we
- Are clear about our purpose in life
- Are passionate about making a difference in line with our purpose
- Are willing to say no to obligations and commitments that would take us away from our purpose
- No longer need to please people over living out our purpose
- Fill our schedules first with those things that allow us to make a difference
- Have margin to think, evaluate, get appropriate rest and spend time with friends and family
- Fill our lives with activities that fill us rather than deplete us
Taking charge of our lives has a rich payoff including a happier and more productive life.